dr. bonnie hall
title: assoc prof of chem & dir of fac adv
office: elings hall 118
- b.s. biotechnology
- b.s. professional chemistry
- ph.d. biochemistry and molecular biology
start date at grand view
areas of expertise
- outstanding academic advising award (2018)
- excellence and innovation in teaching award (2017)
my research studies how the structure of proteins drives their function. junior and senior students work with me on a variety of projects, including studying how to better break down plastics, the function of glucocorticoid and androgen receptors in the development of cancer, and identifying functions for proteins with a solved structure but no known function. i also lead a group of freshman and sophomore students designing three-dimensional models that provide hands-on tools for explaining interesting scientific discoveries (this year the students have chosen to focus on how bacterial infections persist via toxin/antitoxin systems). a highlight every year for these students is student presenting at a variety of scientific meetings, including the american society for biochemistry and molecular biology national meeting.
questions & answers
|what makes grand view unique among other universities?
|the diversity of grand view's students, and the commitment of the faculty and staff to seeing those students succeed.
|what is your favorite part about working at grand view?
- “dr. hall helped me get back to grand view.” - blaze kahikina
- “i have been struggling with multiple health issues throughout this semester. dr. hall has gone above and beyond to make accommodations for me and to look out for me academically, physically, and emotionally. she is constantly pushing students to get the very best out of their education and creates inspiration in the daunting field of biochemistry. because of dr. hall i have a greater love for biochemistry and for research. she has introduced me to multiple wonderful opportunities to help me grow and become a better scientist. dr. hall is a true inspiration to me and i can't describe in words how appreciative i am for all of her help and support. thank you for being such an amazing mentor!” - alli rupert
- “dr. hall helped me with my academic processes, like my class scheduling, change of major when i needed to, critical advising about biochemistry, and many more.” - abubakar barau
- “she encouraged me and gave me confidence to get things done when i didn't think i could do it. she understood me, but also didn't let me take the easy way out.” - grant weldon
- “she talked me through it when i felt lost in what major i wanted to pursue. she was honest and supportive of what i wanted to pursue and helped me feel at peace with my decision. she also helped by writing a recommendation for a scholarship. i really appreciate everything she has done for me and she really deserves to be recognized for it!” - alexa pinos